Steampunk Circus Clown Boots of GLORY

The last remaining thing to finish on the costume was the boots.

I had previously painted the shoes I bought at the Thrift Store for modification with copper paint.  DangerKitty had embroidered the Ringmaster and Trapeze artist on the leather for the spats.

I attempted to pattern spats 3 times.  However, I have narrow ankles and wide calves and I don’t know if anyone reading this knows this, but it is hard to fit things to your own lower legs.  Luckily Jennifer Kopaska had taken photos of her amazing duct tape tutorial (found here on Pinterest:  http://pinterest.com/pin/81627811967826694/) and my friend Anne helped me to tape my foot.

All taped up.

All taped up.

We needed to draw straight lines on the front and back of my leg, but neither of those is straight, so in a brief moment of clarity, I suggested using my French Curve, which worked beautifully.

Then we drew a line around the top edge of the shoes.

Duct Tape - the latest in footwear.

Duct Tape – the latest in footwear.

I took some safety scissors and started to cut off the pattern.

Try not to cut into any of your own socks.

Try not to cut into any of your own socks.

Um, like this.

Um, like this.

I then made a pattern out of the duct tape.  I added seam allowances and made the pattern so it overlapped on one side.

The spats were made of 3 layers.  The outer layer of leather was cut carefully to feature the embroidered designs on them.  I double stitched on either side of the seam to make it look more professional.  I mad a lining of canvas and an inner lining of cotton.  I sewed the two linings together and the edges were serged.  I stitched the linings to the leather.  I stitched metal toothed zippers along the back of the spat, and then stitched gold braided piping along all the visible edgings.  I turned the piping to the inside and top-stitched it down.

Check out my pretty spats!

Check out my pretty spats!

By the end of the evening I had everything ready to complete the spats except for the rivets.

Ready to go!

Ready to go!

Using gold rivets,  I closed the side of the spats.  I attached the spats to the shoes using screw in rivets.  The only drawback to screw in rivets?  Too long shafts in some areas which caused chafing.  I fray checked the various spots that needed it, and then attached copper bows on the front toes with another screw in rivet.

Boot one!

Boot one!

Finished set!

Finished set!

The boots turned out very cute, and I can’t wait to make my next pair.

One thought on “Steampunk Circus Clown Boots of GLORY

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s