The SPARKLE people! It is overwhelming.
Last weekend I went through a bottle of DazzleTac, 810 rhinestones (including 40 that required me to peel backing off first – UGH) and many brain cells since I couldn’t open the window to vent the fumes, and finished the key:
It required me to add glue and then place each rhinestone with a tweezers. I am sure there are easier ways to do this (like hot setting as my friend Christopher suggested) but this was the only thing I could think of and had the supplies for. Therefore several hours are but a hazy memory. The end result is darned shiny though, and is the same on both sides. I am very happy with it.
Then I decided that I needed some jewelry. After carefully separating copper and gold seed beads that had gotten mixed together (hours of my life I will never get back) I went through portraits of Queen Elizabeth I and made a design by Deborah Roberti using leftover beads and pearls and copper spacers.
Because I still had extra beads, I decided to make matching earrings:
And with yet MORE beads remaining, I made beaded cuffs for the sleeves.
I had more beads left over after this (I swear the things reproduce when I am not looking) but I decided to call it a rest for one day.
After all, I had sleeves to make.
I started by making linings for the silk beaded sleeves. I doubled the cotton lining and sewed boning channels in the top sections in order to create a sort of sleeve farthingale/hoop design in order to give the sleeves some shape since they were so very heavy.
It didn’t occur to me before hand that the sides would not line up when sewed together, but it actually worked out okay. The bones (or grey plastic strapping) wound up with a spiral shape up the sleeve top and held the shape well when finished.
I put the strapping into the channels and sewed the sides shut.
Then I bag-lined the sleeves. I sewed the bottom cuff edges together with one sleeve inside the other, then turned the one right side out and tucked the other back inside. The end result looked something like this:
I stitched the sleeve cap edges together and then put small pleats on either side of the top of the sleeve cap, going in alternating directions.
I sewed a 3 inch tube around the top of the sleeve cap, encasing the raw edges and leaving a 1 inch finished casing with which to attach the sleeve to the bodice. I haven’t yet decided on whether or not I am going to lace them in, button them in or sew them in.
I then whip-stitched the beaded cuffs onto the ends of the sleeves.
I am very pleased with the final result. Margo’s pattern was easy to use, and the sleeve farthingales I made worked great. I wish I had measured the length of the sleeve ahead of time as it is rather longish, but once I have a chemise under there it should fit better.
I have not yet decided if I am going to have a shoulder roll or puffs or such on the top of the sleeve cap because I really don’t know how far back the supportasse is going to sit in relation to the sleeve, so I am going to leave that till the end.
Tomorrow I am going to work on the drum farthingale and try to get some work on the skirting done. I have purchased some rigging for the mechanical bits and it is going to take a bit of special fitting of the bodice to get it to work with the rigging. However, the rigging has padded shoulders which will take some of the weight off of my shoulders from the supportasse.
The more I get finished the more excited I get.