This is basically a catch-all post. Lots of photos of things that are still “in progress.” The Steampunk Clown is due February 4th, so I am working my butt off on that. Then it is off to Gallifrey One in LA and there is lots of timey-wimey Doctor Whoish stuff that needs to be completed, particularly now that my 17 year old is coming along as well (Happy Graduation Present!).
I had started work on the supportasse for the Steampunk Clown copper mesh ruff awhile back but quickly ran into problems – the copper tubing that I had purchased was too small to fit in the copper plumbing fittings purchased for me by my excellent plumber. Another trip to Home Depot later and covered in Gorilla Glue, I managed to put the thing together. My husband helped hold everything together while I used zip ties to hold things in place. The supportasse was designed and bent to go around the neck of the dress form I have, so hopefully it works the same on my neck. I just need to add the wire designs to the back (which are now going to be very basic stars because I have learned My Limits) and add a piece to help hold it in place and then it is time to attach the ruff!
I also got the embroidered skirt hem pieces back from the lovely Danger Kitty and they are ADORABLE. I LOVE THEM.
We used a mix of animals from several different embroidery kits, to include a Christmas one. DK was able to eliminate the poinsettas and other obvious holiday fluff from the designs, but if you look at the first photo you will see that the lion and bear are a bit more festive than their buddies. They also had TONS of thread changes.
The bottom of the fabric will have a black and white checkered velvet ribbon sewn on it to give the effect of the bottom of the carousel. The top is going to have another decorative ribbon and above that the striped fabric. I might add a layer of fringe if it looks like it works with the design. I am also planning on adding some beadwork to the animals if I have enough time before the deadline.
Next I gave her some of the pink leather for the spats. The original idea I had to do cutwork pieces was not going to work due to the thinness of the leather, so I had her embroider some Steampunky Circus Folk on the leather for me.
Lastly I needed to make lapels for either side of the mechanical workings in the front. I wound up sacrificing some gorgeous blue silk duchesse satin that I bought in San Francisco, mainly because the color worked beautifully with the other colors.
The design has been done in a large space so that I can cut down the size I need and have the entire lapel covered in embroidery. We went with clockworks and gears to continue the design elements.
All embroidery with the exception of the carousel animals is from Urban Threads. The other embroidery is from Embroidery Library.
I am getting very excited as it is finally starting to seem like things are coming together. Now I have to get some rhinestones for the key and some less stinky glue and a tweezers….